Thursday 11 June 2015

Nature is my religion

I've always felt a strong connection with nature, it had the ability to calm me and clear my mind. I like the peace and quietness, because it's something I don't have. As someone with ADHD, my mind can get quite busy, and my body can get restless. I have several tics, which are movements or things I do without noticing, or things I have to do. For example, I have to stretch my fingers about every five minutes or else I'll get restless, I have to crack my wrists, ankles and toes or else I'll get an itchy feeling, I have to stroke edges of tables and other objects or else I can't focus on anything else, and many more things.
Things like that make me very restless, and I often have aches everywhere around my body because of it. But whenever I'm in a forest, or near a creek, or just in a field, I feel at peace. I enjoy the soft summer breeze that caresses my cheeks as I'm riding my bike (how Dutch of me), I enjoy putting my feet in a river and just feel the water touch my feet, I love listening to thunderstorms and just feel so puny, yet amazed by this thing that the earth creates. It's things like that that calm me, better than any medicine has ever done.

Ever since I was little I've had a huge fascination with the universe, the galaxy, the planets, and the stars and the moon. I love thinking about how weird it is that the universe is infinite, or that maybe it isn't infinite and it just stops somewhere, which is equally as weird. I love thinking about how we live our day to day life here on earth while outside of this planet there is so much going on that we don't understand yet. And I like to think about how weird it actually is that we exist here on this planet, just like that.

Now, I've been raised a Christian, but I never really felt a connection with that. I couldn't really find myself in the idea that there is an almighty God that created everything, but then again it would also feel weird to think that there isn't a deity of some sorts watching over us.
Up until a few months ago I just let the religion thing be. I didn't believe in something, but I also didn't believe in nothing. But on one boring night I spend some time with my good friend Google. I've always felt like the universe was a thing that watched over us, and I loved the idea of our soul returning to the earth or the universe when we die. So I googled some things, and eventually I found what I was looking for: pantheism,

Pantheism is a religion or belief that beliefs that we are all equal. No one is superior by being a god. We are the universe, and the universe is us. We are equal to the trees, the water, the animals, and everything else that lives on this planet. It's a very peaceful belief that allows everyone to be who they are, because everyone deserves to be here. I think one of my favourite quotes that I've come across is "You are the universe, expressing itself as a human for a little while", and I think that is beautiful.

I love the universe, and I love nature. I feel blessed that I'm on this earth, and I hope to be here for many more years. I don't have a God, nature is my religion,

No comments:

Post a Comment